Firefighters in Battle Creek were able to rescue a family cat and return it to its owners following a fire Monday afternoon. Crews responded to the fire at a three story house at 84 Rambling Lane, which is used as separate apartments, just after 5:00 pm.

The blaze was located on the first floor and firefighters were able to keep it contained to a couch and coffee table in the living room area, but extensive smoke damage was reported throughout the apartment. Residents of all units in the structure were evacuated as a safety measure to ensure no one suffered any smoke inhalation.

While checking apartments and hallways, crew members were notified that a cat was still inside. Firefighters were able to locate the animal and return it to the renter unharmed. No injuries were reported and no damage estimate has been reported. The cause of the fire was determined to be careless smoking.