A home is considered a total loss in Kalamazoo after it caught fire early Monday morning.

WWMT reports that around 12:30am Monday, Kalamazoo Public Safety fire crews responded to a home on Skinner St. between Vine and 4th, to find the house fully involved with flames.

Authorities say that the fire at the home was difficult to fight because it was unsafe to enter. The home had been condemned previously, because it was occupied by a hoarder. If a home contains too much stuff, it's dangerous to enter when ablaze because of a lack of pathways and exits.

The National Fire Protection Association says that:

"The excessive accumulation of materials in homes poses a significant threat to firefighters fighting fires and responding to other emergencies in these homes and to residents and neighbors."

All that could be done, crews say, was to make sure the blaze didn’t spread.