Two Calhoun County Businesses Investigated For Human Trafficking
Two 'adult' businesses were recently searched in a joint investigation with the Calhoun County Sheriff's Office and Albion Department of Public Safety following a complaint of Human Trafficking.
The investigation resulted in two search warrants being executed at commercial businesses in both Marengo Township and the City of Battle Creek that occurred on Thursday, October 10, 2019, at approximately 3:00 p.m.
Detectives searched the Highway Spa at 18901 Partello Road and Avenue Spa at 567 East Michigan Avenue. As a result of the executed search warrants, two people were arrested on outstanding warrants.
Authorities say the investigation is active and ongoing and that no other information on the ongoing efforts can be released at this time.
The Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by Albion Department of Public Safety, Marengo Township Code Compliance, Marengo Township Fire Department and City of Battle Creek Code Compliance.
Here are some warning signs that an individual is being trafficked:
- Signs of physical abuse such as burn marks, bruises or cuts
- Unexplained absences from class
- Less appropriately dressed than before
- Sexualized behavior
- Overly tired in class
- Withdrawn, depressed, distracted or checked out
- Brags about making or having lots of money
- Displays expensive clothes, accessories or shoes
- New tattoo (tattoos are often used by pimps as a way to brand victims. Tattoos of a name, symbol of money or bar-code could indicate trafficking)
- Older boyfriend or new friends with a different lifestyle
- Talks about wild parties or invites other students to attend parties
- Shows signs of gang affiliation? (ie: a preference for specific colors, notebook doodles of gang symbols, etc.)