Can You Sell Homemade Food in Michigan?
I didn't realize it, but 9 years ago the State of Michigan adopted a "Cottage Food" law that lets people sell homemade food to make a few bucks on the side. But what can and can't be sold? The MSU Extension is holding a workshop in Battle Creek on Friday March 8th, from 1pm-3pm.
MSU Extension Food Safety and MSU Product Center Educator Leatta Byrd will be one of the presenters. This workshop combines the business and food safety aspects of preparing and selling cottage foods safely and successfully. Learn what foods can be legally produced, how to label and sell them. MSU Extension will be working with the MSU Product Center for Agriculture and Natural Resources to cover the business aspects of the Cottage Food Law.
What can you sell?
- Canned jams or jellies made from fruit
- Dried spice mixes
- Roasted coffee beans or grounds
- Dried pasta
- Chocolate covered foods that do not require refrigeration (e.g. strawberries, pretzels, crackers)
- Rice crispy treats
- Baked goods (e.g. cake, cookies, muffins, donuts)
- Fruit pies
- Vinegar and flavored vinegar
- Dried baking mixes
What's not allowed?
- All canned food (besides canned jams or jellies made from fruit)
- Vegetable dip, prepared for consumption
- Coffee, prepared for consumption
- Tomato sauce
- Caramel apples
- Sliced fruit
- Raw seed sprouts
- Prepared focaccia bread (with cheese and cut vegetables for example)
- Meringue or cream pies
- Flavored oil
- Meat, fish, dairy, cut produce (e.g. lettuce)
There's a lot more to it, so if you're interested, sign up for the workshop, or check out the MSU Extension website for more info.
There are also online workshop opportunities.
Class date: March 8, 2019
Location: Calhoun County Health Department, 190 E. Michigan Ave., Battle Creek, MI 49014
Time: 1 - 3 p.m.
Cost of the workshop is $20.00 and includes a certificate that states participant has taken food safety training related to Michigan Cottage Foods.
This workshop will be taught by MSU Extension Food Safety and MSU Product Center Educators: Leatta Byrd and Joanne Davidhizar
For more information about the program contact Leatta Byrd at email@example.com or 269-384-8063.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on March 7, 2019. Click here to register.