Child Dead, Two In Critical Condition After Carbon Monoxide Buildup In Battle Creek
A child is dead, and two adults are in critical condition after their Battle Creek area home filled up with carbon monoxide Thursday night.
The Calhoun County Sheriff's Office says that they received a 911 call around 10:30pm Thursday, from a citizen who was worried about their neighbor. The citizen knew that the home was without power, and said they heard a generator running.
The citizen called 911 after they were unable to contact the residents themselves.
Deputies responded to the 700 block of W. Michigan Ave. in Springfield, and were also unsuccessful in contacting those inside the home. A deputy then stood on his patrol car to see inside, and saw what appeared to be a child and two adults unconscious. Deputies then forced themselves inside, and pulled the three occupants out into fresh air for first aid.
The three were taken to the hospital, but the 11-year-old girl later passed away. A 44-year-old man, and 41-year-old woman remain in critical condition.
At this time, investigators believe that a gas powered generator was being used to power a kerosene heater in the home. This combination created an "extreme amount" of carbon monoxide to build up in the home. This incident continues to be investigated.