Funeral, Procession Set for Comstock Fire Chief Ed Switalski
The funeral ceremony for fallen Comstock Township Fire Chief Ed Switalski is set for Noon, Wednesday (June 21st) at Wings Event Center. A procession beginning at Kalamazoo Valley Community College will wind through Kalamazoo beginning at 9am. The Michigan Department of Transportation announced the route of the funeral procession: The funeral procession will use the following route:
• 9th Street north to Stadium Drive.
• Stadium Drive east to Michigan Avenue.
• Michigan Avenue east to Riverview Drive.
• Riverview Drive north to M-43 (Gull Road).
• M-43 (Gull Road) east to H Avenue.
• H Avenue east to South 33rd Street.
• South 33rd Street south to M-96 (East Michigan Avenue).
• M-96 (East Michigan Avenue) west to M-96 (King Highway).|
• M-96 (King Highway) west to River Street.
• River Street south to East ML Avenue.
• East ML Avenue west to South Sprinkle Road.
• South Sprinkle Road south to Covington Road.
The funeral procession will end at Wings Event Center, and the funeral is set to begin at approximately noon.
During the procession, the public is being asked to avoid the procession route between 9 and 11:30 a.m. Several ramps and intersections will be closed by Michigan State Police during this time, including:
• I-94 interchange at 9th Street Exit 72.
• US-131 interchange at Stadium Drive Exit 36.
• I-94 interchange at I-94 Business Loop Exit 81.
• I-94 interchange at Sprinkle Road Exit 80.
Switalski was struck and killed while trying to help at an accident on I-94 near mile marker 81 last Wednesday night.