Kalamazoo Woman Warns of Possible Abduction Attempt
Thankfully, she's OK, but a Kalamazoo woman believes she narrowly avoided being kidnapped by human traffickers.
It was just a quick trip to the store to pick up a few things, but it could have been a very dangerous situation. Sara Corravo shares she "was shopping at aldi on west main today [Jan. 21], when I walked to the door to enter, I got a weird feeling from a bigger man in a camo hat and black/grey jacket." She encountered the man once or twice more in the store and then at checkout "He was there, right behind me as close as can be. He had nothing in his hands to purchase, so he randomly grabbed a small bag of trail mix, pulled out a wad of cash and was texting people on his phone." Sara paid for her groceries and ran to the car, escaping safely.
Of course, we can't know for sure if the man planned an abduction but it always pays to be aware of your surroundings and stay vigilant. Sara warns,
What I just experienced was possibly a piece of human/sex trafficking and no women should ever have to experience that. Aldi has been made aware and are keeping there eye out and we’re very appreciative for bringing it to there attention. I cannot believe this happened to me and is happening to women in this society.
-Sara Covarro on Facebook
She described the entire harrowing experience in her Jan 21 status update:
Even if Sara's spidey-senses were overly sensitive and it just happened to be some creepy guy (and we're not saying that's all it was) it pays to be vigilant.
Human trafficking is real and it is happening in Michigan
- The National Human Trafficking Hotline defines human trafficking as "form of modern-day slavery in which traffickers use force, fraud, or coercion to control victims for the purpose of engaging in commercial sex acts or labor services against his/her will."
- The organization reports over 3700 calls to their helpline: 1-888-373-7888.
Human trafficking is happening in Kalamazoo
- Kalamazoo Anti-Human Trafficking Coalition strives to prevent human trafficking in Kalamazoo through advocating legislature in Michigan, training law enforcement and the community and raising awareness.
- KAHTC also provides care and resources for rescued victims of human trafficking.
- For help in Michigan, call the YWCA 269-385-3587