We’ve now learned more about a fire that ravaged a Kalamazoo home Tuesday night.

The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety says that crews were called to a home in the 900 block of Mills St, around 6:45pm Tuesday.  At the scene, the officers learned that the building was split into two apartments, one taking up each floor, and they saw that heavy flames were consuming the second floor.

The fire was eventually brought under control after around an hour, and no injuries were reported.

It’s believed that the blaze was sparked by an unattended candle on the first floor, and helped along when the resident did not immediately call 911 when smoke alarms went off.  The KDPS would like to remind people to be careful with candles and open flames, and to always call 911 if you smell smoke.

More From WKMI