Suspect In Battle Creek New Years Murder Ordered To Trial Tuesday
The suspect in a murder in Battle Creek at the beginning of this year has now been ordered to trial.
The Battle Creek Enquirer says that on Tuesday, 19-year-old Drequan Scott waived his preliminary examination on charges of open murder and using a gun in the commission of a crime, and the judge ordered him to trial. Battle Creek Firefighters were called to a house fire in the 200 block of Graves St. January 1, and they found the body of 58-year-old Howard Gillette inside; an autopsy found he had been shot three times, and he was found to have died from the bullets, not the fire.
The Battle Creek Police Department held a press conference January 3, and said their suspect had been arrested New Years Eve on charges of Operating While Intoxicated and for carrying a handgun, and he was bonded out and released. However, further evidence led police to search the vehicle he'd been driving on a warrant, and he was later arrested and held on suspicion of being connected to the shooting.
Both the prosecution and defense have agreed to a report that Scott is mentally competent to stand trial.