NWS Weather Alert: Up to 14 Inches of Snow Possible
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for an area that includes Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and the lakeshore. Some areas could see over a foot of snow.
The heaviest snowfall will probably be (as usual) closer to the lake, and west of US 131, but even western parts of Kalamazoo and Allegan counties could see at least four inches of snow.
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Grand Rapids MI 1025 AM EST Mon Dec 11 2017 MIZ038-039-044-057-065-072-112330- /O.EXT.KGRR.WW.Y.0020.171211T1525Z-171213T1200Z/ Lake-Osceola-Newaygo-Kent-Barry-Kalamazoo- Including the cities of Baldwin, Reed City, Fremont, Grand Rapids, Hastings, and Kalamazoo 1025 AM EST Mon Dec 11 2017 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY... * WHAT...Lake effect snow occurring. Plan on difficult travel conditions, including during the morning commute on Tuesday. Additional snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches, with localized amounts up to 14 inches, are expected. * WHERE...Lake, Osceola, Newaygo, Kent, Barry and Kalamazoo counties. * WHEN...Until 7 AM EST Wednesday. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 35 mph will cause areas of blowing and drifting snow.
- Avoid driving while you’re fatigued. Getting the proper amount of rest before taking on winter weather tasks reduces driving risks.
- Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated.
- Never mix radial tires with other tire types.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- If possible, avoid using your parking brake in cold, rainy and snowy weather.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice, sand).
- Always look and steer where you want to go.
- Use your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle.