Long Lake Roller Rink in Portage is For Sale, Future Uncertain
A south Portage roller rink that dates back to the 1950s listed for sale and its future is uncertain.
The rumor that the rink may be closing comes from the Long Lake Facebook group, the final ForEver skate at the rink is slated for June 1 at the Long Lake Roller Rink and the property is being sold.
The property was listed for sale at $750,000 and notes the value of the property is in the land rather than the buildings that house the skating rinks,
236 feet of frontage on Long Lake available for redevelopment. Active Roller Skating Rink on-site but value in land for residential or possible commercial use. Adjacent to DNR land that includes a boat launch. One of a kind Lakefront opportunity in a great location.
The property is currently listed as sale pending. One of the rinks owners shared on Facebook that they expect the sale to close in June.
- Natasha Lansdale: My kids go there all time. Has not changed much from when i was a kid
- Jackie Campbell: I remember going there with my cousins when I was 8 or 9. A long time ago.
- Darin Philport: That was THE place to be seen in 5th and 6th grade.
- Candy Ouweleen-List: I broke my wrist there.....
- Glen Hawes: Broke my leg there.
Other now-vanished roller rinks in the Kalamazoo area include the J & D in Portage, Roller World on Kilgore, Arcadia Roller Rink, Silver Star and Pop's Open Air.