The Historic Michigan Lumber Town of Blaney Park, Then & Now
Blaney Park is one of those historic, cool little Michigan villages, hidden from view off the main road. You'll find it north of US-2 on M-77 in the U.P.'s Schoolcraft County, Mueller Township.
It originated as just plain 'Blaney' in 1902, a logging community founded by the McEacheran Lumber Company. It became known as Michigan's first 'modern lumber town'.
In 1909, the lumber company was sold to Wisconsin Land & Lumber, which ended up operating until 1926. A couple years later, Blaney was turned into a resort town and was re-dubbed 'Blaney Park'. The Blaney Park Resort became official in 1928, with the opening of the "Celibeth" cottage, the former home of William Meuller, of whom the township was named.
Today, there are other old buildings that have been renovated to accommodate tourists, including a bird sanctuary and hunting preserve.
The photos below include an abandoned motel just south of Blaney Park and some cool old photos from the mid-20th century.
Great roadtrip stop!